Stamford Park is a Grade II listed Public Park and boating lake, approximately 26 hectares in area, situated between Ashton and Stalybridge in the North West of England. The park was opened in 1873 and has been a focus for community activity in the borough of Tameside ever since.
Funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund was secured in 2007 to support a dramatic transformation of the park and address decades of neglect and a decline in the public facilities. Much of the original design had been obscured in the passage of time, resulting in a lack of understanding of the historic landscape. OMI worked with landscape designers DLA to bring the grounds and facilities into the 21st century, OMI’s role being targeted towards the wide variety of buildings and structures within the park.
The main focus for visitors is the OMI designed park pavilion and café. This building interprets the design and orientation of the park landscape, acting as a focal point for community activity. As well as a café, the pavilion includes community rooms, a reception, toilets and office.
The new pavilion building is integrated into the bowling green’s existing Grade II listed canopy and garden wall which dates back to 1865, thereby bringing a new significance to these historical elements. The building forms a natural edge that resolves significant level changes in the landscape, enveloping the roof of the building and nestling it into the landscape, encouraging visitors to enjoy this rare vantage point.
CLIENT – Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council
STATUS – Completed
COMPLETION DATE – 2011
VALUE – £1.6M
LOCATION – Stamford Park, Tameside
– 2014 Civic Trust Award Commendation
– 2014 BALI National Landscape Restoration & Regeneration Awards Winner
– 2013 RIBA North West Award Winner
– 2013 Manchester Society of Architects Award Winner